Recent Fire Damage Posts
How To Take the Headache Out of Fire Damage Remediation in Your Poughkeepsie Home
Small kitchen appliances can create big headaches when it comes to fire damage. Contact SERVPRO today for fire damage remediation help.
Failing to Clean Your Toaster Could Cause Fire Damage in Your Poughkeepsie Home
Every time you make toast, small crumbs fall to the bottom of the device, and over time they can build up and eventually cause fire damage. The bread dries out and becomes increasingly stale, turning into a fire hazard. As they build, and you continue to use your device without cleaning it, a fire is bound to break out.
Fortunately, the fire damage inside your Poughkeepsie kitchen was relatively small. Using the fire extinguisher beneath your kitchen sink, you managed to keep the fire damage contained to the corner of your countertop where your toaster sat. Soot has stained the walls, cupboards, and counter. However, only the toaster, and the bread box beside, it burned up in the flames.
Without that much lost in your kitchen, you may wonder if it is necessary to call for help. Here at SERVPRO, we have a reputation for tackling damages large or small. The stains inside of your kitchen can be tough for you to remove by yourself, as can be the odor. For this reason, it is always wise to call for professional help immediately upon extinguishment.
When SERVPRO receives your call, we always swiftly put a team of IICRC, Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification, certified technicians together and send them to your home for a prompt arrival. Upon arrival, our technicians can launch into an investigation and then create a remediation plan. SERVPRO can start by throwing away the charred bits of your bread box, your ruined toasted, and bits of plastic wrapping at the fire consumed. From there, we can use a cleaning solution designed to tackle greasy soot. Using a simple spray-and-wipe method with a lubricative cleaner, we can lift the grime away from the surface of your countertops, the walls, and your cupboards, while protecting the finishes on each respective surface.
Once all of the soot stains are gone, all that remains is removing the odor from the fire. SERVPRO can use a hydroxyl generator to neutralize the particles that carry the malodor. Our goal at SERVPRO is always to make every aspect of the blaze disappear, "Like it never even happened."
When forgetfulness causes fire damage inside of your home, always call for help right away. Get in touch with SERVPRO of NW & SE Dutchess County by calling (845) 635-4550. Night or day, we're ready to lend our assistance.
Click here for more information about the city of Poughkeepsie.
Tips for after a Fire.
Fires can be especially devastating to your home or business. After the fire trucks leave, your property will likely suffer from not only fire and smoke damage, but also widespread water damage and flooding from firefighting efforts. SERVPRO of NW and SE Dutchess County Professionals have specialized fire and water damage restoration training and experience to quickly clean up and restore your home to pre-fire condition. They also can remove the pervasive smoke odor and deep-clean soot from upholstery and carpet.
The Fire Damage Restoration Process
SERVPRO of NW and SE Dutchess County Professionals know just how devastating a fire can be. Fire and water damage can leave your house unsafe and unlivable. They’re trained to clean and restore your home with as little disruption as possible.
Your Contents after a Fire.
SERVPRO of NW and SE Dutchess County technicians specialize in restoring contents damaged by water, fire, or mold. Our expertise and “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. We pretest your belongings to determine what items can be restored to pre-fire condition.
We use several methods of cleaning your contents, including:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to wet cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand wet cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if wet cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
Call us today to see how we can help you! 845-635-4550
Smoke Damage in Pleasant Valley Home
Stove top fires are common in most homes. They can start out small, but can quickly get out of control. This customer experienced just that while making dinner one night. After all the proper steps were taken to get the fire under control, SERVPRO of NW and SE Dutchess County was called in to assist with the cleanup. Although not much structural damage occurred, there was significant smoke damage throughout the home.
Our technicians worked with the homeowner and their family to ensure that all rooms and the contents within were cleaned to SERVPRO and industry standards. The homeowner was so thrilled when we were able to clean some of their more sentimental items.
When you have fire or smoke damage in your home or office, be sure to call the professionals at SERVPRO of NW and SE Dutchess COunty at (845)-635-4550
What to do incase of a Fire in your Dutchess County Home.
The first few days after a fire are crucial in the restoration process. SERVPRO of NW and SE Dutchess County understands the emotional strain fire and smoke damage in a home or office can take. We recommend taking the following steps after a fire to help make a difference between restoring or replacing.
- To prevent any further damage to unaffected areas, it is best to limit movement in the home or office. Movement of belongings and persons will move soot particles in the air.
- In high traffic areas, rugs and on upholstery, place clean old linens to help prevent further damage.
- Chrome faucets, trim and appliances are subject to damage from soot particles, so we recommend coating them with petroleum jelly or oil.
- If water is used to extinguish the fire, it is best in carpeted areas to place aluminum foil or wood blocks between the furniture legs and the wet carpet.
- Do not wash any walls or painted surfaces
- Do not shampoo carpet or upholstery
- Do not clean any electrical equipment
- Do not send clothing to a dry cleaner. This may set smoke odor if clothing is improperly cleaned
Home Safety Tips- Fire
Do you know what to do when catastrophe strikes in the form of a fire in your home?
When a fire starts, you could have less than two minutes to escape. Early warnings are key to a safe exit, so working smoke alarms and a practiced fire escape plan are important when avoiding disaster.
Top Tips for Fire Safety
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
- Test smoke alarms every month. If they’re not working, change the batteries.
- Talk with all family members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year.
- If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL FOR HELP. Never go back inside for anything or anyone.
Dutchess County Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of NW & SE Dutchess County will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (845)-635-4550